Monday, September 30, 2013

"The Feminine Mystique at Fifty"

Jessica Hong writes about the impact of Betty Friedan's book The Feminine Mystique fifty years after it was published. Her article has (and will) take me a long time to process. I still haven't read Betty Friedan's book. I want to... and I don't want to. But I do feel like I need to.

Here are two concluding remarks from this article.
I imagine I wouldn't have received my Master of Divinity at a conservative evangelical seminary, nor other countless opportunities I take for granted, had it not been for the questions Friedan's book raised. Yet the identity crisis persists in women today as it did back then: different circumstances, same problem.

Men are not the answer, but they're not the problem, either. My own brokenness, which keeps me from finding the fullness of my identity in who I am in Christ, is the real problem. In Christ, any role can be carried out with joy and neither anxiety on the one hand nor resentment on the other.
[http://thegospelcoalition.org/blogs/tgc/2013/09/30/the-feminine-mystique-at-50/]

No comments:

Post a Comment