Thursday, September 19, 2013

Puritan "Baby" Names

I love thinking about baby names. My name was pretty deliberately thought out and it's pretty different. Perhaps that's why? I grew up explaining "why" I have the name I have and in turn became interested in why other people have the names they have. I have to admit "we liked the sound of it" as a valid reason to choose a name, but to be that reason is pretty low on my list of "reasons to choose a name".

So when this article floated along the internet to me, I was very intrigued and save the link to a draft blog post. I wanted to investigate the names further, but didn't make the time... but then my pastor wrote a blog post about it too, so I read the original article again. And then just even today a friend announced the name of their baby girl, which would probably be considered "Puritanical" by today's standards.

My favorites from the list in the Slate article:

-Wrestling
  if we were doing noun names for boys, I'd lobby hard for this one.
-Fight-the-good-fight-of-faith
I like the meaning of this, but wouldn't ever dream of using a multi-word name.
-Thanks
So simple! So profound! But probably too common a word.
-What-God-will
I love this meaning, just not the hyphens.
-Joy-in-sorrow
Um, see above.
-Remember
Again, probably too common a word.
-Humiliation
Humiliation, no, never. Humility? Yes, I would strongly consider that name.
-Diffidence
I like this!
-Free-gift
I wouldn't use "Free-gift" but some other name like/meaning "Gift"? Probably.
-Tenacious
If it weren't for the band Tenacious D, I would strongly consider this name.
-Verity
So pretty! I really like it.

2 comments:

  1. This article was so interesting to me. I read it a few weeks ago. Some of the names--ahhhhh! Those poor people who had to live their lives with such an awful name. But, yes, I would strongly consider some of the nice ones and Verity was definitely on my list for a girl name. I also loved the name Justice/Justus for a boy. It was on my top 3. Would have been cute to have Justice and Mercy born this week. :)

    ReplyDelete