Wednesday, September 04, 2013

Blog Update

I've never publicized my blog(s). I started blogging out of peer pressure, but I blogged in fits and starts, never quite sure what my "blogging voice" should be or if I really even wanted to blog. Certainly, because it is the internet, I've never posted anything I didn't want read/known about me. But at the same time, I've always been at least a bit uncomfortable with social media and overshare and I consequently never advertised my blog. It didn't seem to matter anyway, since I was hardly posting. So it languished for several years as something undefined, yet something I couldn't/wouldn't just delete.

However, in the last year or so, I seem to have figured out something that works for me (for now, at least).

I've used this blog to curate the articles, etc., that I've found online. I usually don't interact with the articles too much, I suppose because my perfectionist tendencies demand that I either thoroughly interact with every article or don't interact at all. And because whatever time I have for sitting down at the computer and typing is not time I want to spend blogging. But I also wanted to do something more than "just" read such and such article and then forget about it. Or to bookmark it and forget about it. So a quick blog post (or at least a list of recently clicked on links) seems to be working.

And then, what about these boys of mine who are growing up so quickly? Though they have paper and ink (well, pencil) journals that I update for them, typing is much quicker. And what about requests for updates and photos? So I started a family blog. Which also languished for a while.

However, at the beginning of 2013, however, I resolved to write more about the boys. I started weekly updates every Friday to recap our activities, as well as writing out some of the cute conversations I have with Ezra and milestones the boys have reached. I've found it to be worth the time it takes to add photos and type up a bit. It helps me define certain memories or milestones in a way that is easy and access. Especially when trying to write monthly cards for grandparents. Also, at the end of the year I expect to use those blog posts and accompanying photos to make at least one (or maybe three? one for us and one for each boy?) family yearbook (instead of photo album).

I don't anticipate blogging will ever be a daily habit for me, but I'm learning to make it work for me/us and finding that it's not quite as distasteful as I originally thought.

2 comments: