Ezra was sitting on my lap. I randomly squeezed his toe and asked him what it was. He replied by grabbing his bottom and saying, "that's my bottom!" What? Weirdo (says the person who just grabbed his toe and asked him what it was).
To keep the conversation going, I guess, I asked him what color his bottom was.
"Pink!"
"Oh? Your bottom is pink? What?"
"Yes! That's what color I am!" he replied.
To my knowledge, he hasn't ever heard skin color described as white (or any color). And as far as color goes, I suppose his skin is pink-ish.
But just as I started to think about when/whether to start teaching (explicitly) him about skin color(s) when he broke into my thoughts, saying "and you are green! that's your skin color!"
So yeah. Maybe he doesn't have that comprehensive understanding (let alone observation) of skin color after all. Or he's just a goofball.
He does often describe his skin as pink, especially recently. But besides seeing different skin colors in the people around him, a few books and toys and shows, we haven't addressed the topic with him. And I'm not sure when we will.
I thought this post was interesting. Joel thinks Declan is pink too. He thinks I have a cute little brown face. LOL. Joel thinks he's pink, just like Declan, so I already had to break it to him that he's both.
ReplyDeleteWell, you do have a cute brown face, so I guess we know his observational skills are up to par.
ReplyDeleteWell, you do have a cute brown face, so I guess we know his observational skills are up to par.
ReplyDelete