Saturday, June 01, 2013

The Nightlife

Friday night I worked until 10pm at the studio, filling in for the usual office manager, to cover a birthday party. As I worked away on summer registrations, I listened to the singer/guitarist (Kim Archer) singing covers next door at the cafe and watched people - all dressed up and holding hands - walk past me along the sidewalk.

My observation was largely dispassionate. I felt very much like I was observing a different culture. An unfathomably different culture.

I often stay up past 10pm these days, thanks to my child-who-refuses-to-sleep, but never in "real clothes". I listen to a lot of music these days, thanks to my children-who-love-music, but it's my own rendition of "The Ants Go Marching"/"London Bridges"/etc. I get plenty of physical touch, thanks to my children-who-are-obsessed-with-touching-me, but it's not accompanied by flirtation.

I live a very different life these days, and I don't even know that I realized how devoid it was of about-town-ness in the twilight until last night as I watched other people flit about. I'd forgotten that some people do such things. Four years of total immersion in childcare (plus that last year of writing) have made me forget any life before.

No comments:

Post a Comment