Seth and I have long um, enjoyed the Twilight franchise. We went to the theater to see New Moon when it came out in November 2009, as a joke? a dare? This is how I described it in an email back then:
When we went to see New Moon...! Seth got me to go to a movie with him by saying we would go to New Moon (which I offered as our only choice because I was sure he'd say no to it) and that I didn't have to get out of my pajamas...
We were truly surprised that we actually enjoyed it. Sure, we made fun of it the whole time. But even so it wasn't nearly as bad as we thought it was going to be. And, the soundtrack was amazing!
But before that, I read the books because a bunch of my sister's friends were reading them and lent them to me. I read through the first three books (Breaking Dawn wasn't even out yet!) really quickly in June/July 2007... and then sort of dismissed them. I didn't expect they would become the phenomena that they did.
But before that, I read the books because a bunch of my sister's friends were reading them and lent them to me. I read through the first three books (Breaking Dawn wasn't even out yet!) really quickly in June/July 2007... and then sort of dismissed them. I didn't expect they would become the phenomena that they did.
Anyway, once Eclipse came out, Seth and I went to see it at the theater. (Um, we might have even gone opening night? We went two weeks before our wedding, on what was our last official unmarried date...) It was fine (read: ridiculous as expected, no more, no less). And then twice now Seth has totally surprised me by bringing home Breaking Dawn (parts one and two) from Redbox.
I tried to re-read the first book last summer, but I just couldn't make my way through it. Oh! We should totally get it on "tape" for our next roadtrip!
Anyway. We love Twilight because it makes us laugh. Enter new favorite author: Baratunde Thurston. Guess what he has graciously provided the world? Hate tweeting Twilight! It's hilarious and insightful. I haven't thought about Twilight for months, but I was laughing (and cringing) at how stupid the whole franchise is.
Like he says,
I tried to re-read the first book last summer, but I just couldn't make my way through it. Oh! We should totally get it on "tape" for our next roadtrip!
Anyway. We love Twilight because it makes us laugh. Enter new favorite author: Baratunde Thurston. Guess what he has graciously provided the world? Hate tweeting Twilight! It's hilarious and insightful. I haven't thought about Twilight for months, but I was laughing (and cringing) at how stupid the whole franchise is.
Like he says,
I hate the franchise. I think it is bad for America and little girls. You basically got this stalker vampire who's basically abusing this low self-esteem child, and that is hailed as a great image of love and respect. Because I have read the books and suffered through them, I wanted to prevent others from falling into that same fate. So on opening weekend, I go to the theater, I sit in the back to not disturb people, and I live-hate-tweet the film. And that just means I tweet in real-time with hate. I absolutely disdain this franchise. So I'm describing the storyline through my eyes and what the story really means, and it's proved very popular. And most importantly, I've prevented people from spending their hard-earned money.

No comments:
Post a Comment