Friday, May 10, 2013

Christian Hip-hop

I think Christian hip-hop is more than just the latest attempt to slap a Jesus fish on the bumper of a pop-culture fad. Hip-hop is reminding the church about the reality of sin and grace—and returning the hip-hop community to its prophetic roots.
So writes Russell Moore in a recent article in Christianity Today. I found the entire article absolutely fascinating. It's long, however, so if you want the short version of Moore's article I suppose this would be it:
If country and gospel music are in the company of psalms of lament, hip-hop is in the territory of psalms of imprecation. 
Christian hip-hop doesn't pick up themes of depravity and election, but rather jumps into such themes in the larger hip-hop community. It isn't so much about Calvinizing Christian music as Christianizing Calvinist music. 
Hip-hop's leading artists have learned that the "pull yourself up by your bootstraps" theme of the American dream is a myth. They're as anti-Pelagian as Augustine.
Could it be that Christian hip-hop is less another wave of evangelical marketing than a critique of it?

No comments:

Post a Comment