"Online Etymology: is "DERP" Ableist?" on Offbeat Empire
I really appreciated this post. It's a must read.
When it comes to reader sensitivities about problematic words, I almost always err on the side of extreme caution. The phrase "illegal immigrant" was immediately changed to "undocumented immigrant" when a reader emailed with concerns. When someone thought our use of the word "Tribe" was "problematic and franky racist", I went straight to the source to investigate. Issues of cultural appropriation are always addressed head-on. But DERP? I'm not sure I agree that Derp is ableist."Defending "The Cost of Delaying Marriage" on Boundless
This article speaks to the "gift" of life long celibacy. Mohler's question is the most succinct and helpful standard I've read (on this topic).
How do you know if you have this gift? Dr. Albert Mohler, president of The Southern Baptist Theological Seminary and member of Focus' board of directors suggests asking yourself, "Can I go the rest of my life without sex, without the companionship of marriage, without having children and without being bitter about it?" If you answer yes, it's likely you do.
"Confronting Tradition: Weddings and Feminism" on Etsy Weddings
Great article on the cultural spotlight of wedding planning.But I was never as keenly aware of my feminism as when I got engaged. Culturally, major life transitions have been set up so that the woman has the more visible role.Weddings are the kick-off. After the flurry of excitement when we announced we were getting hitched, things calmed down considerably for my (now) husband David. He got the traditional back slap and “Congrats, man” from friends and then conversation moved on to other things. For me, not so much. Now, mind you, I was pretty excited to talk about pretty wedding stuff with my girlfriends, but what I wasn’t expecting was that I would suddenly be in a very public spotlight.
No comments:
Post a Comment