Saturday, April 28, 2012

More on Racism

"Black or White: Kids on Race" on CNN






"It's Easy to Call John Derbyshire a Racist" on Womanist Musings
To bring up the systemic ways in which racism effects the lives of people of colour is deemed racist because interjects the much taboo subject of race into a conversation. 
"The Racial War is Heating Up" on Time Magazine
The anxiety about Obama’s success has led to many reactions, most of them not physical but still emotionally violent. I sense a widespread anger with the continued discussion of race, as if Obama’s election should have ended the conversation forever, so why are you still talking about it? I see anger toward those who bring it up in media, as if talking about racism is the problem as opposed to racism being the problem.
"The Elephant in the Room at T4G" by David Murray
In one way I’m very reluctant to raise the question because I’ve discovered to my cost that it’s almost impossible to question or comment about anything race-related in the USA without being accused of being a racist! I’ve waited to see if some of the more culturally sensitive commentators/bloggers would address this “elephant in the room.” So far, silence.
So let me break the silence by saying that I was hugely disappointed by the largely mono-cultural make-up of T4G (the few non-WASPS I did get to speak to were from outside of the USA!). Others, quietly, said the same to me.
"Where Were All the African Americans?" by Thabiti Anayabwile
The Reformed world is small and the African-American Reformed even smaller. Perhaps this is what seems “off” about the post to me. On a percentage basis, I wouldn’t be all that concerned even though I’d love all my kinsmen according to the flesh to adopt this robust, God-exalting, and biblical theological world and life view.
Sproul and MacArthur are the human means the Lord used to introduce many of us to Reformed theology... We were without the two Christian radio ministry leaders that many African Americans would know. There’s far less familiarity with the rest of us as speakers.
The greatest ability to strengthen and diversify friendship in the gospel probably comes not from the speaker panel’s ethnic make-up but from whether or not we attenders intentionally invite and reach out in our own circles of influence.

No comments:

Post a Comment