Hunger Games "Stuff"
I'm just copying Rachel Held Evans here, because the links she found are fantastic:
You can get a Hunger Games tattoo. You can make mockingjay cupcakes. You can check out the latest styles of the Capitol designers at Capitol Couture. You can figure out which district your hometown would fall into in Panem. (I must say, I loved these maps. I think I live in District 12!) You can buy a truly awful Christian t-shirtto wear to the theater. You can even burn calories through a Hunger Games-inspired workout.
But more seriously, as Held Evans reviews Julie Clawson's book, The Hunger Games and the Gospel, she says:
Clawson does a fantastic job of reminding readers that Collins’ world of occupation, oppression, excess, and poverty is not so far removed from our own, and that it is exactly the kind of world in which Jesus himself lived.
And, writes Clawson:
Hunger, poverty, poor health, fear, violence and lack of freedoms are not just elements of fiction, but daily realities in our world. In light of such realities, consider the emotional (and political) impact Jesus must have had when he showed up in Nazareth, a region with a long history of oppression, and proclaimed that he had come to fulfill Isaiah’s prophetic words by releasing the captives and setting the oppressed free. Those words would have been charged with meaning for people living in fear under the Roman tribute system just as they are for people desperate for liberation today. Oppression orchestrates compliance by crushing all hope. Yet Jesus came offering hope and the blessing of the Kingdom of God to those whose spirits had been broken.
[http://rachelheldevans.com/engaging-the-hunger-games]
I never thought about best friend tattoos before!! Although not sure that Hunger Games ones would be the best for us...maybe "Team Edward" and "Team Jacob" matching ones? ;)
ReplyDeleteOk, but how would we do that? Me and Ali get Team Jacob and you get Team Edward? Then they're all different... And two against one.
ReplyDelete