I was homeschooled up until tenth grade, when my parents then enrolled me in a private Christian school. (Similarly, my five younger siblings were also homeschool until high school.) My mom started home schooling me in the late '80s, when home schooling was still in the early stages of its resurgence. That is, it wasn't yet a commonly accepted practice.
Growing up, I didn't pick up on the ridicule/lack of acceptance that surrounded my parent's choice to homeschool us, whether from family or friends (well meaning thought it might be) or from strangers. Now, however, I do. To borrow an idiom, my hackles rise when I hear people glibly malign homeschooling/homeschoolers. (By the way, do you know what a hackle is? "(hackles) erectile hairs along the back of a dog or other animal that rise when it is angry or alarmed.")
Recently pastor and prolific blogger Tim Challis ran a blog series on homeschooling. In his three articles, he places education into the category of "secondary doctrines or disputable matters" and then proceeds to analyze educational choices and perceptions of these choices from Romans 14, particularly "how people who disagree on disputable matters ought to relate to one another and how each will be particularly prone to sin against the other."
Of note is his third installment, which you can read here.
Growing up, I didn't pick up on the ridicule/lack of acceptance that surrounded my parent's choice to homeschool us, whether from family or friends (well meaning thought it might be) or from strangers. Now, however, I do. To borrow an idiom, my hackles rise when I hear people glibly malign homeschooling/homeschoolers. (By the way, do you know what a hackle is? "(hackles) erectile hairs along the back of a dog or other animal that rise when it is angry or alarmed.")
Recently pastor and prolific blogger Tim Challis ran a blog series on homeschooling. In his three articles, he places education into the category of "secondary doctrines or disputable matters" and then proceeds to analyze educational choices and perceptions of these choices from Romans 14, particularly "how people who disagree on disputable matters ought to relate to one another and how each will be particularly prone to sin against the other."
Of note is his third installment, which you can read here.
No comments:
Post a Comment