Sunday, November 08, 2009

Trinity Blanket

Once upon a time (fall 2007) I went to the Puyallup Fair with my two best friends, Ali and Charissa.  While walking around the Exhibition Hall, oohing and aahing over the various knitted, crocheted, quilted, etc., items, we stumbled upon The Celtic Trinity Blanket.  We stood in front of the case holding the blanket for forever, trying to puzzle out how it was made... and then promptly made a trip to JoAnn's where we each bought a number of skeins to start making our own blankets.

I bought gorgeous, oh so soft skeins in rich red, green, blue and ivory, plus a crochet hook.  Since I'd never crocheted before, Charissa showed me the basics and then I started trying to make my own Celtic Trinity Blanket.  Yep, that's right.  Novice (actually, what's before novice?) crocheter, really hard (but crazy cool) project.  Needless to say it's now two years later and my blanket's not even started yet.  I need to pull out my hook again and start with some granny squares before attempting the blanket again.  I took on too large and complicated a project for my first crocheting attempt and then compounded the difficulty by being a perfectionist and therefore unraveling every imperfect attempt.

But, because Ali is an amazing crocheter (not to mention much less a perfectionist) she's made a great deal of progress on her blanket.  Check these photos out:

This is a Celtic Trinity triangle:

This is six triangles, put together:

Triangles and hexagons:

And then this is several of the above "hexagons" put together:

Isn't Ali amazing?  Check out her blog here: http://knittybutton.wordpress.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment